Skip to Content
A Normandale International student.
International Students

Seeking Admission as an F-1 International Student?

Normandale welcomes students from all over the world!

You are an international student if you are not a U.S. citizen or U.S. immigrant, and have an F-1 Student Visa. 

Of our nearly 15,000 students, over 100 are international students from 10+ nations. We are the largest community college in Minnesota with a diverse, safe, and respectful campus community.

Start your U.S. educational journey with us! Normandale Community College offers a variety of 2 year academic degrees and transfer curriculum to bachelor’s granting colleges and universities in the United States. At Normandale, you will find:

  • A wide range of 2-year associate degree programs and certificates with reasonable tuition. 
  • Transfer options for many colleges and universities nationwide
  • Small class sizes and award-winning support programs
  • ESL Tutors to help with your English writing and reading skills
  • Many student activities which can help you improve your English

Study in the States is a useful website of the Department of Homeland Security that explains the rules and regulations governing the international student process in the U.S.

Admission Requirements

New Student

If you are a prospective international student applying from a foreign country seeking an F-1 Student Visa to complete a degree at Normandale College, please attach the following documentation to the international student documentation form.

Change of Status

If you are already in the United States and you are requesting to change your current visa status to obtain F-1 student status (example: B1/B2, F2, J1 H4), and enroll in courses at Normandale College to complete a degree.

Note:  B visa (visitors) can complete admission steps while visiting in the U.S., but are not eligible to enroll in college with a B visa.  It is necessary to wait for approval of the change of status application by USCIS before you are able to begin.  These applications are delayed and could take more than a year and approval is not guaranteed.  Individuals with a B visa may consider leaving the United States and apply for an F-1 visa through an embassy or consulate in their home country.

International Transfer

If you are currently enrolled as an international student at another U.S. college or university with a current I-20 and seeking to transfer to Normandale Community College to complete a degree at Normandale College. 

Students transferring from another college or university in the United States who are currently out of status must complete the following steps and also must apply to USCIS for reinstatement. Registering for classes will be dependent on the USCIS approving request for reinstatement.

After You Are Accepted

Once your application and all supporting documents have been received and reviewed, you will receive an acceptance email if you meet the admissions requirements.

  1. Your Form I-20 with the International Student Advisor (DSO) signature will be included with the acceptance email. You will need to print and sign and date the I-20 for it be valid. 
  2. Your Form 1-20 has your unique SEVIS number. You must register this number and pay the I-901 prior to making an appointment for a visa interview. The current fee is $350 and can be paid online at  Be sure to print and keep a copy of your receipt.
  3. Contact your local US Embassy or Consulate or visit your local embassy website in your country for appointment information.
  4. Complete the visa application and make a visa interview appointment as early as possible before you selected semester begins. Appointments with U.S. embassies and consulates are often booked months in advance. 

Bring your Form I-20, all financial documents and other required documents to the visa interview.  This includes, but is not limited to passport, I-20, a printed copy of your acceptance letter (email), financial support documents, and the SEVIS receipt.  Visit the U.S. Department of State web site for more information on student visas and the application/interview process or the Department of Homeland Security Study in the States, Applying for a Visa and Prepare for your Visa Interview

After your visa interview, email to notify the College if your visa was approved or denied.  When you receive you F-1 visa, send a copy to

Note:  If your visa application is denied, you may reapply for the visa within a 12-month period without having to pay the SEVIS fee again.  If you are denied, plan on reapplying and notify Normandale at

F-1 Visa students may enter the United States no more than 30 days before the program start date on their official I-20.  Arriving before that date may result in denied entrance to the U.S.  Normandale College requires that students arrive at least two weeks before classes begin. 

New Students are required to meet with an International Admissions Representative. At this meeting, please be prepared to present your passport and your I-94 form. Admissions representatives will review your the next steps before attending an Orientation session. International students are required to attend New Student Orientation. On the date of your orientation, be prepared to submit full payment for student health insurance for the semester. At orientation, you will meet with an advisor and register for classes. 



Frequently Asked Questions


upper arrowtop