Financial Aid for Summer
Important Dates to Remember
- June 1 - Priority Deadline to apply for Financial Aid for Summer 2020. Apply for the 2019-2020 FAFSA or 2019-20 MN Dream Act now!
- June 5- You must be enrolled in all of your Summer courses (including those in later start sessions) to be considered for summer Pell grant. Changes to your schedule after this date may mean loss of financial aid.
- June 12- If eligible for summer aid, this is the first day summer aid will be disbursed for students enrolled in a June 1 or June 15 start session. Please allow additional time for direct deposit to your designated bank account or by mail.
- June 30 - Must have completed your 2019-20 financial aid file, including all supporting documents to received aid for Summer 2020.
- July 17- If eligible for summer aid, this is the first day summer aid will be disbursed for students enrolled in a July 6 session. Please allow additional time for direct deposit to your designated bank account or by mail.
- August 3- Last day to submit a loan request (electronic or paper) for Summer 2020.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic we will not be dropping students for non-payment for the summer semester. This is to give students more time to make payment arrangements while keeping their registered courses.
Types of Aid for Summer
Federal Pell Grant, Minnesota State Grant, MN Childcare Grants and loans are available this summer.
If you are eligible for Federal Pell grant, you may see two types of aid listed on your summer Pell grant and Pell addl. Pell grant is remaining eligibility for the year, not used in the fall or spring terms. Pell addl requires at least 6 aid eligible credits in order to be used in the summer term.
If you are eligible for Federal Direct Loans and you did not use your full eligibility during fall and spring term, you may have eligibility for these programs during the summer.
If you are considering taking summer classes and want to see your financial aid award first, please contact the financial aid office at email@example.com or call 952-358-8250.
Changing Your Schedule
Financial aid adjustments due to class schedule changes: If you decide to add a course after 5th day of the term, your Pell Grant CANNOT be adjusted for the increase in credits. If you drop a course and add another course that is the same number of credits after the 5th day of the term, your Pell Grant will be negatively affected, as your added course will not be recognized.
If you drop any courses after the 5th day of the term, you will be required to repay part or all of your summer aid.
YOUR CLASS SCHEDULE MUST BE FIRM AND YOU SHOULD NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES AFTER THE 5th OF THE TERM OR YOU RISK AID REDUCTIONS.
You are required to be enrolled in at least 6 credits (not including w's) at the time of any loan disbursement. If you are not, we cannot disburse the funds to you and may have to return any loan funds previously disbursed for summer.