What is service-learning?
Service-Learning is when students volunteer as part of the course. Your professor may have it be required, an option, or extra credit.
Service-Learning Steps for Students: How to Register and How to Report Your Hours
- Student service-learning instructions with screen shots.
- Student service-learning instructions for if you are doing service at an other site not listed on your professor's GivePulse page.
- 4-minute video of how to get started with service-learning for students
- If you are volunteering at a place that won't confirm hours via email you can use this Normandale time sheet or can upload the time sheet into GivePulse. Instructions on how to do this are in the instruction documents above.
Service-Learning Deadlines: Spring 2021
- Service-Learning Registration Deadline: Wed. Feb. 3rd
- Hours ("impact") Submission Deadline: Wed. April 28th
- Normandale uses a platform called called GivePulse to support service-learning. GivePulse is a platform to connect volunteers, community organizations, and colleges.
- GivePulse allows you to tell your faculty member you are doing service-learning, connect with nonprofits, report and track your service-learning hours, and for your professor to automatically view your service-learning hours.
- If you need help with GivePulse you can reach out to Paige Wheeler. GivePulse also offers email support via email@example.com and has help articles online.
Which classes include service-learning?
Go to the Normandale GivePulse web page and look under the "Classes" tab for a list of the classes offering service-learning this semester. Please note, fall 2021 won't be fully supporting service-learning due to staff leaves.
Where can I do service-learning?
In most cases your professor will pre-select community partner options for service-learning. To see the approved community partner options for your class go to the Normandale GivePulse web page and look under the "Classes" tab; find your class. Some professors let you pick other options that are not listed on your GivePulse class page; in these cases email your faculty member to get approval.
Where can faculty get information about service-learning?
Faculty resources are here.
Who can help me with service-learning?
Your faculty member and the Center for Experiential Education. Contact the Center for Experiential Education at ExperientialEducation@normandale.edu or (952) 358-8119.