Leadership Through Service
What is Leadership Through Service?
Leadership Through Service (LTS) develops a supportive peer network for students and empowers them to positively impact their community on and off campus through volunteering. LTS is a program for students who have unmet financial need and/or are first-generation college students (neither parents graduated from college). Students volunteer 30-40 hours over a semester with the opportunity to return for a second semester. Students volunteer throug the program and also on their own. On average, members volunteer about 3 hours per week total. There are ten students per semester in the program.
Benefits of Leadership Through Service
- Get a $500 scholarship at the end of the semester (plus opportunities for select students to get an additional scholarship up to $1,000)
- Have the option to return for a second semester for an additional $500 scholarship
- Develop leadership skills through off-campus service, coordinating volunteer programs, and through topic sessions the weekly committee meetings
- Build your resume with hands-on experience
Members do some volunteering on their own. Members select any nonprofit, or multiple nonprofits, that fits their goals and interests. Members work with the program coordinator to find service sites that align with their personal and professional goals. In addition, members serve on a committee of other LTS students where they plan service-related programs or events. All committee volunteering, independent volunteering, LTS meetings, and select professional and personal development activities count toward your 30-40 program hours.
- Be a first-generation college student (neither parents graduated from college) and/or have unmet financial need (low-income, Pell-grant eligible, work-study eligible)
- Be willing and able to volunteer 30-40 hours on and off campus in a semester
- Be enrolled at Normandale during the semester you are a member of Leadership Through Service
- Complete 30-40 volunteer hours on and off campus in a semester
- Meet weekly with your LTS committee, which includes other LTS students and a Center for Experiential Education staff member
If you have questions
Please contact The Center for Experiential Education at firstname.lastname@example.org or (952) 358-8119.
Link to timesheet for current LTS members.