3.35.1. Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) Procedure
3.35.1. Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) Procedure
|Related Minnesota State Board Policy:||3.35: Credit for Prior Learning|
|Related Minnesota State Board Procedure:||3.35.1 Credit for Prior Learning – External Assessments|
|Related Minnesota State Board Procedure:||3.35.2 Credit for Prior Learning – Internal College/University Assessments|
|Related Minnesota State Board Procedure:||3.35.3 Credit for Prior Learning – Military Courses and Military Occupations|
Purpose: This procedure articulates the process for the assessment and awarding of credit for prior learning (CPL) at Normandale Community College (Normandale).
|Part 1: External Assessments of Prior Learning|
1. Credit by Examination
a. Advanced Placement (AP)
1. Students must request to have their AP scores sent to Normandale’s Office of Admissions.
b. International Baccalaureate (IB)
1. Students must present a full IB diploma or a certificate recognizing specific subject examinations to be considered for credit based on the examination level and result.
1. Students take CLEP exam(s) at an approved testing center.
d. Other Examinations. Admitted students may also demonstrate college level learning through other nationally recognized examinations such as:
• Thomas Edison College Examination Program (TECEP)
1. Students take the exam, test, or certification at an approved testing center.
a. Students must present the original credential, transcript or other like evidence for consideration.
3. Continuing Education and Customized Training.
a. Coursework in continuing education or customized training may be articulated to college credit.
4. Military Experience Credit
a. Credit may be granted for military training or service if courses and/or occupational service meet the standards of the American Council on Education or the equivalent.
5. Other American Council on Education (ACE) Training
a. Students must submit an official ACE transcript to be considered for credit.
|Part 2: Internal Assessments of Prior Learning|
1. Course Test Out
a. To attempt a course test out a student must be degree or certificate seeking at Normandale.
2. Prior Learning Experience Portfolio Review
a. Students may demonstrate the achievement of course outcomes through a portfolio review process. Faculty determine what materials are necessary to demonstrate achievement of course learning outcomes.
|Part 3: Standards|
Faculty will use the following standards established by the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL) for assessing CPL credit.
1. CPL will only be awarded for college-level learning.
2. CPL will only be awarded for learning that matches the competencies of a current course in a student’s declared program of study.
3. CPL credit recommendations must be made by credentialed faculty in the academic discipline of the course(s) or academic award. If a department does not have an available faculty member to assess CPL, the college may look to other credentialed faculty in the Minnesota State system. In this case, the NCC Common Course Outline will be used to assess credit. The CPL Coordinator will review credit recommendations to ensure program consistency.
4. CPL will only be awarded for non-credit learning which has occurred outside of college coursework.
5. All material submitted for review of CPL will be retained by Normandale.
|Part 4: Administration|
1. Admittance. A student must be fully admitted to Normandale Community College before any CPL can be assessed and awarded.
a. CPL credits will not count towards the enrollment of a specific term.
3. Type of credits. CPL may be applied towards courses in certificate and degree programs only for the purpose of satisfying graduation requirements.
4. Relationship to credit courses. Students may not pursue credit for courses in which they have been or are currently enrolled.
5. Number of credits. There is no limit to the number of credits earned through CPL. However, external CPL does not count toward college residency requirements for degree completion. CPL credits awarded through internal assessment will count for institutional residency and toward graduation residency requirements.
a. CPL grades will be Pass (P) or No Credit (NC). In order to ease transferability and tuition reimbursement, students will receive documentation related to grade equivalencies.
a. A non-refundable fee will be charged for each credit attempted.
8. Financial Assistance. Assessments completed by institution faculty and recorded as resident credit may not qualify for financial aid.
9. Other. The CPL process may be initiated at any time.
|Part 5: Transferability|
A student who is awarded credits based on CPL assessments and transfers to another college or university within Minnesota State must have their credits recognized by that college or university. CPL will be indicated in the student’s education record but will not be indicated as such on their official transcript.
|Part 6: Data Collection and Reporting|
Normandale Community College will collect, track, evaluate, and report the awarding of CPL.
|Part 7: Appeals|
To appeal denial of credits requested for prior learning, student will follow Normandale’s complaint and grievance policy and procedure.
Date of Adoption: 4/30/2019
Department Owner: Academic Affairs
Date and Subject of Revisions:
Next Review Date: 4/30/2022