Office 365 Migration FAQ
This page provides answers to frequently asked questions about the migration of our email, OneDrive, and other Microsoft Office 365 cloud services to the Minnesota State system. This will impact all Normandale students and employees. We will add answers to this page as new questions arise, so check back frequently.
- FAQs - Before the migration
- Why are we doing this?
- What's actually going to change for me?
- Will my email address change?
- Will my password change?
- Will I lose access to email and other services?
- What if I need to access my files from OneDrive in the cloud?
- Will my emails and files transfer over?
- Will I still have the same Apps?
- What if I try to access my student email during migration?
- What if I am teaching during the migration?
- How can I do my homework during the migration?
- FAQs - After the migration
- I cannot log in with my StarID@minnstate.edu login. I recieve an error that my account is not recognized or doesn't exist.
- Will the way that I login to Normandale computers change?
- I can log in at login.microsoftonline.com with my StarID and my MinnState login but I don't see my app icons.
- I see a different email address when I send email or when someone looks up my name. (Students)
- I can't log in to my Mail app on my mobile device. (Students)
- I reply to email but it shows my StarID@go.Minnstate.edu as the email address (Students)
This spring semester, Normandale is taking steps towards streamlining our Microsoft Office 365 cloud services by migrating them to the Minnesota State system. Having all of these services under on umbrella or"tenant" will improve service quality and facilitate communication and collaboration across the system.
Immeadiately following the migration, you will be required to use a new username to log into Office 365 services. Your username will be:
- Students: StarID@go.minnstate.edu
- Employees: StarID@minnstate.edu
- Students: Yes, your email address will change. Your old email address will also continue to deliver email to your mailbox.
- Employees: No, employee email is not part of the Office 365 migration.
No, you can continue to use your StarID password.
Yes, Students will lose access to email. The migration will begin on Friday, Feburary 23, at 6pm and be completed by 7:30am, Monday, February 26. During the migration process, your student email, OneDrive, and other Office 365 services will be unavailable. Your mailbox will also be unable to receive email during this process, with the duration varying acress users. Any email messages sent to student email during this time will be returned to sender.
If you store files in your OneDrive in the cloud, you will be able to access those files until the start of the migration at 6pm on Friday, February 23. However, we will begin coyping OneDrives over to the new system before that time and any changes that you make to your current files will not be replicated to your new OneDrive once that copy process starts. If you want to edit a file during this time, download it to your laptop or desktop and edit that local copy. Then upload it to your new OneDrive on February 26th. We will begin copying OneDrive on Wednesday, February 21.
If you attended classes after January 1, 2017, your emails and OneDrive files will be moved over to the Minnesota State Unified Tenant.
If you last attended classes before January 1, 2017, your emails and files will NOT be migrated. Please save important files and emails. If you have any questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk.
Video, Stream, and Sway files will not be migrated by default. Instructions on how to manually move those files will be forthcoming.
|Application||In Current Tenant||In Shared Tenant||Migration Capabilities||Notes|
|Calendar||Students only||Students only||Auto-Migrate||Included in mailbox migration|
|Excel||Yes||Yes||Auto-Migrate*||*If content is in OneDrive|
|Flow||Yes||Yes||Self-Migrate||Export flows prior to and import after migration event|
|Forms||Yes||Yes||Self-Migrate||Open results in Excel and save to OneDrive to retain results. Must manually recreate after migration event.|
|OneDrive||Yes||Yes||Auto-Migrate||OneDrive content migrates, permissions remain, existing shared links will need to be reestablished.|
|OneNote||Yes||Yes||Auto-Migrate*||*If content is in OneDrive|
|Outlook||Students only||Students only||Auto-Migrate||Mailbox is migrated, but forwarding rules must be recreated.|
|People||Students only||Students only||Auto-Migrate||Contacts migrate, but personal groups/distribution lists do not.|
|PowerApps||Yes||Yes||Self-Migrate||An Export Package and Import Package function is available in preview form.|
|PowerPoint||Yes||Yes||Auto-Migrate*||*If content is in OneDrive|
|Stream||Yes||Yes||Self-Migrate||Download original video option is available, save files locally and upload after migration event.|
|Sway||Yes||Yes||Self-Migrate||Share to new system and duplicate.|
|Tasks||Students only||Students only||Auto-Migrate||Included in mailbox migration|
|Teams||No||By Request||Self-Migrate||Team can be re-created, content can be self-migrated|
|To-Do||Students only||Students only||Auto-Migrate||Included in mailbox migration|
|Video||Yes||Yes||Self-Migrate||Save content locally and upload after migration event.|
|Word||Yes||Yes||Auto-Migrate*||*If content is in OneDrive|
|Groups||Yes||By Request||Self-Migrate||Group can be re-created, content can be self-migrated|
|Staff Hub||Yes||No||Not available||Very recently added to Normandale tenant|
|Skype||Yes||Yes||Self-Migrate||Contacts do not migrate. Links for Skype meetings must be recreated.|
|Email Forwarding||Students only||Students only||Self-Migrate||Students will need to re-establish their forwarding|
|Yes||Yes||Self-Migrate||Individual will be prompted to sign in for re-authentication/activation within 30 days.|
You will be prompted to enter your username and password. However, your credentials will not be accepted. Please wait to access your email until we are finished with the migration. Check this page for updates. You may need to refresh the page to see the updates.
If you are teaching this spring semester, you may want to inform your students that you will be unable to communicate to them (and vice versa) using Normandale student email during this period. Students will also not be able to upload assignments to D2L from OneDrive. Please note that D2L Brightspace will still be accessible.
Please make sure you have a copy of any homework due saved to another location, such as your computer. This will allow you to make sure you can work on it.
Starting February 23rd at 6pm, the old Office 365 will no longer be available. However, your files have already been moved to the NEW Office 365 (login = StarID@go.minnstate.edu). You can work on files in the NEW Office 365.
File migration started on February 11, so if you edited or created any files in the old Office 365, they may not have been migrated. Please make sure you have a copy of all recently created and edited files.
The D2L widget will "break" around 6pm on February 23. You can log in with your StarID@go.minnstate.edu to access your NEW OneDrive. Email will function by February 26.
- Ensure that you are typing it correctly. StarID@go.minnstate.edu for students and StarID@minnstate.edu for employees.
- If you have very recently enrolled at Normandale (like within the last 24 hours), your email account may not yet be created in Microsoft Office 365.
No. You will continue to login to Normandale campus computers the same way you always have.
- As licensing is setup in the Minnesota State unified tenant, these apps will gradually begin to reappear, including your Mail app
- The first school a user was associated with in the unified tenant will be their primary email address.
- This address will not change to @my.normandale.edu unless the student requests it.
- Please contact the ITS Help Desk if you want to change your primary email to @my.normandale.edu.
- You will still recieve email at your @my.normandale.edu email address
- Your Normandale email address has changed. You will recieve email at both the new and old email addresses.
- You will have to remove your old Normandale account or set up a second account for your MinnState account.
- It is not possible to just simply re-enter your credentials to get this working again. It must be a new account setup.
- You can leave the old account there if you'd like to still be able to see your old emails during the migration.
- This is temporary. Your primary email address will display correctly after the migration is complete.
- If after the migration your primary email address is still displaying incorrectly, please contact the ITS Help Desk.
Questions? Need Help?
If you need assistance, please:
- Stop by the Help Desk in L1701
- Call (952) 358-8181
- Submit a ticket