Agency Description: Comunidades Latinas Unidas En Servicio (CLUES) is Minnesota's largest Latino-led organization, founded in 1981 to provide linguistically and culturally relevant services. Our mission as a nonprofit is to advance the capacity of Latino individuals and families to be healthy, prosperous and engaged in their communities. We welcome immigrants and low-income individuals from all walks of life who dream of a better future. Our programs connect individuals and families to resources, skills, institutions and opportunities. We bundle services across Health & Wellness, Economic Empowerment and Educational Enrichment to meet the complex and interrelated needs of our community. Our services uphold and celebrate cultural richness and community assets. We employ a diverse, multi-cultural staff to ensure our services are linguistically and culturally relevant.
- CLUES Minneapolis: 720 East Lake Street, Minneapolis, MN 55407
- CLUES St. Paul: 797 East 7th Street, St. Paul, MN 55106
- CLUES Aging Well Center: 882 South Robert Street West St. Paul, MN 55118
VOLUNTEER DESCRIPTIONS: For a full description, please visit CLUES' website www.clues.org/volunteer.
· Adult ESL Tutor: Volunteers in our English as a Second Language (ESL) classrooms assist adult learners in acquiring the English language and life-skills necessary to overcome the obstacles in their everyday lives. Schedule (volunteers serve one day per week for the duration of the CLUES term): CLUES Spring Term: January 28th - May 3rd Morning Schedule: 10:00am - 12:30pm (Mondays - Fridays) Evening Schedule: 6:00pm - 8:30pm (Mondays - Thursdays)
· Paso a Paso Children's Teacher: This position involves working with preschool-aged children (3 - 5 years old) in the Paso a Paso-Creciendo Juntos Program while their parents attend CLUES' ESL classes. Volunteers will work cooperatively in the classroom to supervise and educate multicultural students through literacy-based games and activities. This includes leading group activities, reading stories, engaging children during "choice" time, and communicating with parents. Schedule (volunteers serve one day per week for the duration of the CLUES term): CLUES Spring Term: January 28th - May 3rd Morning Schedule: 10:00am - 12:30pm (Mondays - Fridays) Evening Schedule: 6:00pm - 8:30pm (Mondays - Thursdays)
· English 4 Work: Assist adult learners in advancing in the English language and work skills necessary to overcome the obstacles in their everyday lives. Discuss the development of professional and interpersonal skills. Schedule (volunteers serve one day per week for the duration of the CLUES term): CLUES Spring Term: January 28th - May 3rd Monday-Thursday 6:00pm-8:30pm.
· Aging Well Services, Activities Volunteer: The Aging Well Services volunteer will help increase social engagement with clients of the care center. The volunteers will also help facilitate physical activity with seniors and help with community outings, meal times, arts and crafts, social activities such as bingo or Loteria, or other activities the seniors enjoy. Schedule: (volunteers serve on an agreed upon schedule between Aging Well Services coordinator and volunteer. Preferred schedule 1 shift per week for a total of 8-12 weeks) Flexible Schedule Tuesday-Thursday, 10:00am-2:00pm Schedules for AWS are assigned based on current need of the center.
HOW TO APPLY: A General Volunteer/Intern Application can be found on CLUES website at http://www.clues.org/volunteer Requirements for All Positions:
- Complete an online volunteer application - please indicate that you are a service-learning student as well as which college/university you attend.
- Complete training by CLUES staff prior to the beginning of volunteering
- A criminal background check is required for Paso a Paso, and Aging Well Services, and must be cleared before beginning your volunteer service