Normandale's placement testing process is used to determine a student's readiness for reading, writing, and mathematics courses. It is used to assist a student with the selection of appropriate courses to help assure a student's success upon entering Normandale. All degree-seeking students are required to satisfy placement testing requirements.
A student may be eligible for placement test waivers based on score reports from ACT, SAT, MN Comprehensve Assessnent (MCA), Advance Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), International Baccalaureate (IB), or completion of college-level coursework from an accredited college or university. Please explore the Test Waivers link for more information.
All students are encouraged to submit official high school transcripts to Admissions and official transcripts of previous college-level coursework to Records and Registration.
- A student must present their acceptable form of photo identification (PDF) to take the tests - no exceptions.
- The tests are not timed. Please allow at least 3 hours if taking all tests.
- Do not bring a calculator. A calculator will appear in the test when allowed for certain math problems. Scratch paper is also provided.
- Cell phones and pages must be turned off. Unnecessary materials are not allowed.
- Academic honesty will be upheld! Violators will forfeit the privilege of using testing services and enrollment at Normandale may be jeopardized.
- No children are allowed in the testing center nor may they be left unattended outside the testing center.
Scheduling the Placement Tests
Placement testing is available by reservation and requires your student Tech ID. Testing is not offered on weekends or holidays. The dates and times currently available are on our reservation website link below. Before your test session, be sure to check out the Preparation for Testing.
PLEASE NOTE: Reservations are taken on a first come, first served basis and no longer appear on the reservation calendar when filled. Check-in will begin 30 minutes prior to the starting time.
Understanding your Results
Students receive a printed copy of their results upon completion of the placement tests. There is no pass or fail; An Admissions Representative can review your results with if you need help understanding what the placement results mean (PDF). For students whose first language is not English, look at English for Academic Purposes - EAP (PDF). There are options for students who are not satisfied with their placement results under Retesting and Appeals.
If you are not able to take the placement tests at Normandale, you may be able to complete your tests at another location. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information and check out https://studentportal.accuplacer.org/#/studentsitesearch for test center locations.
Transferring Score Reports
Students may request to have ACCUPLACER test scores from another institution evaluated for course placement by Normandale by submitting a copy of the test results to Admissions. Students who want a copy of their ACCUPLACER test scores taken at Normandale forwarded to another institution should email email@example.com a completed copy of the Placement Test Score Request (PDF).