Crisis intervention, Personal counseling, referrals
Sometimes it is important to discuss concerns privately with a counselor. The counselors at Normandale provide a confidential setting where you may explore concerns and achieve a better understanding of yourself - your feelings, attitudes, and capabilities.
- Free, confidential individual appointments
- Crisis intervention and referral
- Information about life issues
These services are offered free of charge to currently enrolled students and can be accessed by making an appointment.
To make an appointment, call 952-358-8261 or stop by the Nath Advising Center reception desk.
See the Contact Us page for more information.
counseling issues and information
- Normandale Counseling Brochures
- Student Counseling Virtual Pamphlet Collection
Website: http://counseling.uchicago.edu/page/virtual-pamphlet-collection Information on many topics related to mental health issues, academic concerns, and relationship issues. Click on any topic and you will be linked to a "virtual pamphlet collection" about that topic.
- Counseling Center Self Help Brochures
Website: http://www.counselingcenter.illinois.edu/brochures Excellent resource on "test anxiety" as well as other academic concerns, mental health issues, and relationship issues. Click on any topic and you will be linked to a "brochure" about that topic.
In the course of providing personal counseling to students, many are referred to appropriate community resources. A partial listing is provided below (click on each of the links for detailed information)
(The Counseling Department at Normandale Community College does not assume responsibility for the quality of services provided by mental health agencies or web sites listed below. Inclusion in the list does not imply endorsement nor does omission indicate disapproval.)
24-Hour information and referral
- United Way 211
Phone: call 211 or 651-291-0211
Call or web search for referrals on almost any topic. When using the web site, click on "search now" in the United Way 211 section for a user-friendly web version of the United Way 2-1-1 help line. A great "one stop shopping" site.
24-Hour Crisis Lines
- Crisis Connection
Visit the Website
Free and confidential crisis counseling by telephone for topics such as suicide, depression, abuse, and family and relationship problems. Referrals to community agencies are available for further assistance.
- Fairview Southdale Hospital Emergency Room DEC (Diagnostic Evaluation Center)
Crisis Evaluation until 12 midnight.
- Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) Acute Psychiatric Services
Visit the Website
Suicide Hotline: 612-873-2222
24-hour phone and walk-in service for evaluation and treatment of behavioral emergencies and significant life crisis.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Sexual Violence Center
Visit the Website
Minneapolis Office: 3757 Fremont Ave. North
Chaska Office: 500 North Pine St. Suite 203
24-hour phone counseling, support groups, education, and individual counseling for victims, and loved ones of victims, who have experienced any form of unwanted sexual contact.
- Crisis Nursery
Visit the Website
Emergency child care to prevent neglect and abuse; crisis intervention for families; family education; and a 24-hour hotline for parents in crisis.
- Crisis Text Line
Text "START" to 741-741
24-hour emotional support and information via text to anyone in any type of crisis. Free.
Additional resources for referrals to counselors, support groups, etc.
Your Health Insurance Your own health insurance provider is often the first place to go for referrals which are covered under your insurance plan. Look on the back of your health insurance card for the mental health services phone number. Call this number and explain what issues you would like assistance with and explain any criteria you are looking for in a mental health counselor (gender, race, religion, or other preferences). You will be given names and phone numbers for at least 3 clinics/counselors in your area which are covered by your insurance.
Housing & Food Assistance For a list of local resources for Normandale students who are facing homelessness or food shortage, click here: Housing & Food Assistance
Community Resource Guide from Community Action Partnership of Suburban Hennepin (CAPSH) A county-wide Community Resource guide that is available on the CAPSH website. The site is organized according to client need categories: www.capsh.org/community-resources/
If you do not have health insurance, or if you would like to explore other options, there are agencies which offer free or low cost options.
Some are listed below:
- Behavioral Health Services (BHSI)
Six outpatient mental health clinics in TC metro area.
- Both/And Resources
Child & Adolescent Services; individual, couple and family therapy.
- Budding Lotus Transformations
7800 Metro Parkway, Suite 300, Bloomington
Individual/couples counseling; life/career coaching; student discount.
- Cashman Center; Therapies for Mind & Body Phone: 952-224-8990 Website: www.cashmancentermn.com 2100 County Road 42 West, Burnsville, MN 553 Serves individuals, families, couples and adolescents in the south metro.
1000 East 80th Street, Bloomington
Provides immediate access to all emergency services for individuals and families that are in crisis due to family violence. Also provides ongoing support and shelter services.
- Cornerstone's Day One Minnesota
Domestic Violence Crisis Line
- Emily Program
A treatment center that provides comprehensive psychological, nutritional, and medical care for individuals with eating disorders.
- Family Partnership Services
Counseling, family support services, violence intervention, and educational opportunities.
- Fairview Southdale Support Groups and Classes
Phone: 612-672-7272 Fairview On Call
Listing of various types of support groups and classes on many personal and health topics such as grief, depression, cancer, wellness, and many more.
A treatment center for chemically dependent individuals and families. Information on chemical health and recovery.
- Hennepin County
Information on services and programs involving health, housing, and other social services for infants, children, adolescents, adults, and seniors as well as special groups, such as recent immigrants, in Hennepin County.
- Hennepin County Front Door
300 South Sixth St, Minneapolis
Case management, housing, and mental health services.
- Jade Counseling, LLC Phone: 612-524-9195 600 W 78th St., Chanhassen, MN 55317 Individual and couples therapy; women's support.
- Kinstad, Lori, LICSW Phone: 612-655-5214 Website: www.lorikinstadlicsw.com 5275 Edina Industrial Blvd, Suite 106, Edina, MN 55439 Individual, family and group therapy.
- Lifequesting, LLC Phone: 612-564-2733 Website: www.lifequestingllc.com 9001 E Bloomington Freeway, Suite 139, Bloomington, MN 55420 Individual psychotherapy, bilingual- English/Spanish
- Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota
Three TC metro area locations
Mental health services; insurance/sliding fee.
An online directory of services regarding veterans, senior citizens, youth, disabilities, families, homelessness, affordable housing, refugees, etc.
- MN Mental Health Consulting Phone: 612-203-2961 Website: www.mnmentalhealthconsulting.com 7200 France Avenue South #117, Edina, MN 55435 Individual, family and couples counseling.
- Mount Olivet Rolling Acres Clinical Services Phone: 952-401-4868 Website: www.mtolivetrollingacres.org 1603 West Old Shakopee Road, Bloomington, MN 55431 Psychotherapy, medication management, diagnostic and functional behavior assessments.
- MPSI Psychotherapy Center
3108 Hennepin Ave. South, Minneapolis
Low cost psychotherapy to underserved populations.
- myHealth for Teens & Young Adults
15 8th Ave. South, Hopkins
Mental health counseling and reproductive health care; sliding fee.
- Normandale Community College Advising & Counseling Department Phone: 952-358-8261 Website: www.normandale.edu/current-students/advising-and-counseling/personal-counseling
- Northland Counseling Services Phone: 952-974-3999 Website: www.northlandcounseling.us 7945 Stone Creek Dr., Suite 140, Chanhassen, MN 55317 Individual, marriage & family counseling; adolescents/children; intensive outpatient.
- OutFront Minnesota Phone: 612-822-0127 Website: www.outfront.org Support for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Communities.
- SAVE-Suicide Awareness Voices of Education Phone: 952-946-7998 Website: www.save.org 8120 Penn Avenue South, Suite 470, Bloomington, MN 55431 Information/resources on depression and suicide.
- Sexual Violence Center Phone: 612-871-5111 Website: www.sexualviolencecenter.org Minneapolis office: 3757 Fremont Avenue North Chaska office: 500 North Pine St., Suite 203 24-hour phone line, support groups, individual counseling for victims/loved ones of victims.
- Spectrum Counseling Phone: 763-245-2576 Website: www.spectrumcounselingMN.com 12805 Highway 55, Suite 402, Plymouth, MN 55441
- The Walk In Counseling Center
2421 Chicago Avenue South, Minneapolis
Crisis intervention and short-term counseling to individuals, couples and families. No appointment is necessary during counseling hours. These services are free, but donations are appreciated.
- 360 Communities/Lewis House
Phone: 651-452-7288 (Eagan); 651-437-1291 (Hastings)
Domestic violence shelter; sexual assault services.
4432 Chicago Ave. South, Minneapolis
Tubman Family Alliance and Chrysalis, A Center for Women have merged and renamed the combined organization Tubman. Tubman offers support through multiple service areas: safe shelter, legal assistance, counseling, youth and family support and community education.
- United Way 211 Phone: 211 or 651-291-0211 Website: www.211unitedway.org Health & human services referral information.
- Watercourse Counseling Center
3548 Bryant Avenue South, Minneapolis
Nonprofit, community-based mental health center that provides a variety of mental health services including psychotherapy, education and support services. Sliding fee scale.
- Worawan Turner Psychological Services Phone: 952-222-4491 Website: www.turnerpsychology.com 4021 Vernon Ave. S., Suite 212 (Excelsior Blvd. & Hwy. 100), St Louis Park, MN 55416 Individual psychotherapy; psychological testing.
- Your Vision Achieved Phone: 952-225-1575 Website: www.yourvisionachieved.com Burnsville, Eden Prairie, Downtown Minneapolis locations Spanish & Hindi speaking therapists; individual, group, family and online therapy; sliding fee.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, Greater Minneapolis Intergroup
Greater Minneapolis Intergroup helps people who may have a drinking problem to find A.A. groups in their area. They can also connect people to Al-Anon and Alateen, groups for friends and families of alcoholics.