Process & Appeals

Transfer Process

Normandale will grant equivalent credit from regionally accredited colleges and universities, and additional credit for non-collegiate and non-regionally accredited college coursework in accordance with College and Minnesota State policy.

At the time of application, transfer students must submit an official transcript of coursework completed at all institutions that are not a part of the Minnesota State system (the College can obtain Minnesota State transcripts electronically on the student's behalf).

Students who have attended more than one college must request official transcripts from each college they attended. The Records Office evaluates the transcript to determine the number of credits that will be accepted in transfer and applies it to the student's record. Advisors may further evaluate the transcript for degree planning purposes and to determine how transfer coursework satisfies Normandale degree requirements.

The most current transfer course equivalency information is found in Transferology. Students should also review Transfer Guides and Tools for additional transfer equivalency resources under Transfer Guides and Tools

^ top

Transfer Credit Appeals

A student may appeal their transcript evaluation by completing an Academic Petition. The academic petition will be reviewed by an academic dean and, if appropriate, the academic department.

Notification of the outcome will be emailed to the student's account within three weeks of the date the petition was received. If a student is not satisfied with the college's transfer appeal decision, the student may submit a request to the Senior Vice Chancellor of Academic and Student Affairs for a System level appeal of the college's transfer appeal decision.

  • A student shall appeal a transfer decision at the college or university level prior to appeal at the system level.
  • The system level appeal request shall include a copy of the college or university transfer appeal decision with supporting rationale, transcript and other documentation.
  • To be considered, the student appeal for a decision that involves credits from system colleges and universities must have the support of the chief academic officer or designee of the sending system college or university. When a transfer decision involves credit earned at an institution outside the system colleges and universities, the support of a chief academic officer or designee is not required.
  • Upon receipt of the system level appeal, there shall be a review by Minnesota State System Office transfer staff. The review shall be based on course descriptions, outlines, objectives, learning outcomes, and/or other relevant information. The transfer staff shall submit a recommendation to the Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic and Student Affairs.

The Senior Vice Chancellor of Academic and Student Affairs shall make a final determination regarding disposition of the appeal. The decision of the Senior Vice Chancellor shall be binding on all system college and university parties.

^ top


If you are an incoming transfer student, many of your questions can be answered during the new student orientation and advising process. If you have additional questions about how your credits have transferred, or need help with degree planning, you can schedule an appointment with an academic advisor