Admission Procedures for International Students
International students are individuals who are not citizens of the United States and who reside outside the United States, or individuals in the United States on a non-immigrant F-1 student visa. Applicants must meet specific requirements before being considered for admission to the college. No admission decision will be made until the application is complete.
A completed application includes:
- A completed and signed International Student Application, available as a PDF downloadable form on the International Student page on the Admissions website. International students should not apply online.
- A non-refundable application fee of $20 (U.S.), payable to Normandale Community College. The application fee must be sent in the form of a bank draft drawn on a U.S. bank or an international postal money order.
- Students requesting an F-1 student visa must show means of adequate financial support by submitting an original notarized bank statement which reflects, in US currency, the amount necessary to fund one academic year of tuition, fees, textbooks, housing, food, transportation, medical insurance and other expenses. Students should contact the Office of Admissions for the current required dollar amount.
- Submit official transcripts from the secondary school and any colleges or universities attended. All school records must be sent in the student’s native language and in English translation. (If records are not original, certified or attested true copies signed by authorized school or government officials, U.S. embassy staff or a notary public must be sent.)
- Students who intend to transfer credits from institutions outside the United States must request a credit assessment (course by course) through a professional credential evaluation service that is recognized by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). However, Normandale recommends the credential evaluation services available from World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE).
- In order to be accepted for admission at Normandale Community College, all international students from non-English speaking countries also must either:
- Submit results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 500 on the paper test or 173 on the computerized test or 61 on the internet test; OR
- Submit results of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum score of 6 on the academic test only.
For information about taking the TOEFL, contact the Educational Testing Service. Normandale’s TOEFL code is 6501. Visit ielts.org/usa for information about taking the International English Language Test.
Accepted applicants will be issued the I-20 form for processing a student (F-1) visa.
International students accepted for admission to Normandale Community College, upon their arrival in the United States, are required to meet with the Normandale admissions representative responsible for international student enrollment.
International students already attending college in the United States and transferring to Normandale Community College must apply in writing and may not use Normandale’s online application. With that exception, these students should also submit an International Transfer Release form, which can be downloaded from the Normandale International Student web page.
International students with further questions regarding admissions or enrollment procedures should contact the Normandale Office of Admissions in writing at 9700 France Avenue South, Bloomington, MN 55431, or by telephone at 952-358-8201, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.