Transfer Credit Policy

Transfer coursework will be evaluated according to the following standards in accordance with policies established by the Board of Trustees of the Minnesota State system:

  • All college courses in which a student has received a grade of A, B, C, D or P (Pass) at regionally accredited, liberal arts, post-secondary institutions shall be considered for transfer.
  • If the student's cumulative GPA at the originating institution is less than 2.00, only grades of P, C and higher will be considered, unless the course was completed at a Minnesota State college or university and that institution has used it to satisfy a Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) goal requirement. Students retain the right to appeal the acceptance of credits.
  • Duplicate credits cannot be awarded for equivalent courses.
  • Up to 16 credits of public or private regionally accredited technical college coursework shall be considered for credit if the coursework was completed with a grade of P, C or higher and the student's cumulative GPA at technical college was 2.0 or higher.
  • Grades earned for transfer coursework shall not be computed in the student's GPA on the Normandale transcript, but they will be included in the calculation of the GPA required for the MnTC and graduation.  
  • Credits earned by examination at a regionally accredited post-secondary institution will be considered for transfer.  
  • Credit achieved through experiential learning processes shall be evaluated, following a student's petition, according to published national standard guidelines established by the American Council on Education (ACE), the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL) and other similar national organizations. 
  • In accordance with Minnesota Statute 197.775, Subd.2, Recognition of Courses  Recognition of Courses, credit may be granted for military training or service if courses meet the standards of the American Council on Education or the equivalent. Information about military credit transfer options can be viewed at Up to 16 technical and/or vocational credits and an unlimited number of associate and baccalaureate credits will be accepted for unduplicated course content.   
  • Credits earned in competency-based education programs will transfer as general electives unless approved for other requirements.
  • Transfer decisions are not made solely on the source of accreditation. Non-collegiate work and coursework from non-regionally accredited institutions recognized by Council of Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and the US Department of Education will be considered on a course-by-course basis through the academic petition process.
  • Coursework completed at an international college or university will be considered for transfer if recommended by a professional credential evaluation service that is recognized by the Association of International Educators (AIE) or the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).