Transfer In

What is a transfer student?

Transfer students have taken courses at other colleges or universities and are planning on receiving credit for those courses at Normandale.

Steps to apply as a transfer student

  1. Apply online. Applications are also available by calling the Office of Admissions at (952) 358-8201. We are not currently charging an application fee.  

  2. Submit copies of score reports from any previous ACT, SAT or course placement testing you have completed.
    Previous score reports may be used to determine course placements. 
  3. Submit official transcripts from all previous colleges attended.
    Students who have taken courses at other colleges and universities must submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities they have attended. Your transcripts could also include Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and International Baccalaureate (IB) official score reports. Exception: You do NOT need to submit transcripts from other Minnesota State colleges and universities you have attended. Normandale will obtain these for you after your application is processed. This exception does not apply to the University of Minnesota. 

  • Official electronic transcripts: We recommend secure electronic PDF transcript delivery if it's available. Orders that require an email address should use 
  • Official paper transcripts: Paper transcripts must be prepared and sealed by the issuing institution in an envelope bearing that institution's letterhead and mailed directly to: 

    Normandale Community College
    Attn: Records & Registration
    9700 France Avenue South
    Bloomington, MN  55431-4399

Steps for enrollment as a transfer student

  1. Apply and be accepted for admission to Normandale.

  2. Satisfy course placements. 
    When your application has been processed for admission, the Normandale Office of Admissions will send an admissions decision to you by email. You will receive an email if additional information is needed to determine course placements. 

  3. Complete the New Student Online Orientation. 
    When your course placements have been determined, you will receive an email with instructions on how to access the Student Online Orientation. The Orientation can be completed at any time, and once it is completed you will be able to meet with an academic advisor to register for classes. 

Transfer Students from Accredited Colleges or Universities

Except for those students transferring from other Minnesota State colleges and universities, transfer students must submit official transcripts from all colleges they have attended. Normandale will review the transcripts and grant a placement test waiver in the associated academic skill area if the student has completed transferrable coursework and has:

  • Earned a grade of C or higher in a college-level English composition course (if not, the English and reading tests are required).
  • Earned at least 12 transferable semester credits with a grade point average of 2.00 (C) or higher  or completed an equivalent to ENGC 1101 (if not, the reading test is required).
  • Earned a grade of C or higher in a college mathematics course during the last two years (if not, the mathematics test is required if the student is planning to register for math class; is registering for a course with a math prerequisite; or is applying to a program with a math requirement).

Note: All students are responsible for the prerequisites and placement test scores required for classes. If a student registers for a course for which prerequisites have not been met, the College may drop the student from that class without a refund.

^ top