Veterans' Benefits

Benefits FAQs | Qualifying | Steps for Applying | Tuition | Housing Eligibility | VA Contact

Education Benefits

The US Department of Veterans Affairs offers eligible students up to 45 months of educational assistance through the Montgomery GI Bill. Eligible students may fall into one of the following categories (chapters):

  • Chapter 30: Active Duty
  • Chapter 1606: Selective Reserve
  • Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program
  • Chapter 35: Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program

^ top

How does a student become eligible for VA Education Benefits?

The US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) makes all determinations of eligibility for education benefits. Students must apply for benefits through the VA. Applications for most chapters are available from the Records Office. Students can also apply online at

When will a student be certified?

Students who submit their application for benefits and notify the Certifying Official of their wish to receive benefits (each term) prior to the tenth day of the term will be certified after the tenth day. Students who complete their files and/or notice of their wish to receive benefits after the tenth day of the term will be certified immediately. Certification means that Certifying Official will notify the VA of your enrollment. The actual time it takes for you to receive your benefits is dependent upon the VA.

Should a student apply for financial aid if they plan on receiving VA education benefits?

Yes, as the VA benefits may not be sufficient to cover all educational costs. (VA students are paid benefits based on the number of approved credit hours they carry and not on the cost of the school they choose to attend.)

How much will I be paid if I qualify for benefits?

Your monthly benefit will be based on the type of training you take, the length of your service, your category, whether you receive kickers, and your enrollment status. Students can be full-time, 3/4 time, 1/2 time or less than 1/2 time.

Am I eligible for the Work Study Program?

To be eligible for work study, a student must:

  • Be eligible to receive VA education benefits, and
  • Attend school and receive benefits at the 3/4 or full-time rate.

Inquiries regarding VA work study positions should be directed to the Veterans Administration at Fort Snelling

^ top

Qualifying for Veterans' Education Benefits:

To qualify for veteran's benefits, you must be accepted to the college. Your educational objective must be the same as that which you reported to the Veterans Administration. If you have never received VA benefits from Normandale or if you have not received them for one year of more, you must contact the VA Certifying Official.

You must contact the VA Certifying Official:

  • Each term that you wish to receive benefits (you will not automatically be certified)
  • Any time you make chages to your schedule (drop, add, or withdraw)
  • If you change your major
  • If you move

^ top

Steps for Applying For & Receiving Benefits:

If you HAVE NEVER received VA Educational Benefits:


  1. Review the Veterans Guide.
  2. Complete an application.
    Form 22-1990 - Chapters 30, 32, 1606 [PDF]
    Form 22-5490 - Chapter 35 [PDF]
  3. Attach your DD214 or NOBE.
  4. Submit items 1 and 2 to the St. Louis Office (the address appears on page 10 of Form 22-1990 and on page 3 of Form 22-5490).
  5. Notify your Certifying Official when you are registered so an Enrollment Certification can be done for you.

If you HAVE received VA Educational Benefits previously at another institution within the previous year:

  1. Complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training.
    Form 22-1995 - Chapters 30, 32, 1606 [PDF] Form 22-5495 - Chapter 35 [PDF]
  2. Submit the Request to the Records Office.
  3. Notify your Certifying Official when you are registered so an Enrollment Certification can be done for you.

^ top

Tuition and Tuition Assistance

  • Policies and procedures for TPU soldiers are available at Army Knowledge Online/Defense Knowledge Online.
  • Veterans and soldiers who are not residents of Minnesota qualify for Minnesota resident tuition rates. Complete the Petition for In-State Tuition [PDF]. Attach a copy of your DD214 or DD295, and submit it to the Records Office (if you have already completed your VA file, you do not need to resubmit your DD214 or DD295. Simply write "VA Student" on the petition form).

Questions about tuition assistance should be submitted to the Business Office.

^ top

Questions about housing eligibility for the summer term?

This equivalency calculation tool will assist you in determining the credit load necessary for full-time, 3/4-time, half-time, and less than half-time status. This tool is meant as an estimation only, should you wish to confirm please contact the National Call Center with your schedule information. Enrollment status is based on actual course dates, not semester dates. Rates for students pursuing solely hybrid or online courses will be one half the BAH national average.

^ top

Your VA Certifying Official

Sara Leigh
Interim VA Certifying Official
Normandale Community College
9700 France Avenue South
Bloomington, MN 55431

Tel: 952-358-8408
Fax: 952-358-8263

^ top

Submit Your Notification Electronically

You may use the links below to submit your notification electronically:

Related Links
GI Bill Website
Education Forms/Applications
VA Homepage

Contact the VA National Call Center Hotline
Telephone: 1-888-442-4551
Online Help

^ top

Have a Question? Ask Us here.