EVERYONE is welcome at the Diversity Center located in the Kopp Student Center, Room K-1439.
Announcing our NEW Mission and Vision for Fall 2019!
The Diversity Center promotes a shared understanding of respect, belonging, and inclusivity which fosters leaders to address systemic inequities in our community(ies).
Enhancing our understanding of human diversity, thereby inspiring leaders to make a positive impact locally, nationally, and globally.
What We Do
- Provide resources for a diverse array of identities and community groups including but not limited to: American Indian/Native America, Disabilities, Latinx, LGBTQIA+, Pan-African, Pan-Asian, Veterans, and more. We provide resources regarding community organizations, civic engagement, leadership development, conferences, trainings, podcasts, and more.
- Intercultural Development Inventory training for student leaders
- Provide programming that addresses diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Plan diverse events/programs to support student development and leadership
Leadership Conference Opportunities
- Kente Summit: For Collegiate Black Men (St. Paul, MN) - Oct 18, 2019. To learn more about the conference, go HERE. *PASSED.
- Overcoming Racism Conference (St. Paul, MN) - Nov 15 - 16, 2019. To learn more about the conference, go HERE. *PASSED.
- Power In Diversity Conference (St. Cloud, MN) - Jan 30 - Feb 1, 2020. Hosted by St. Cloud State University. Go HERE to learn more about the conference workshops/schedule. We are sponsoring 10-15 students to attend the conference this year (a $95 value - registration fee). Hotel, transportation, and some meals will be provided for students selected. Normandale Deadline: Jan 23, 2020. *PASSED.
- Midwest Bisexual Lesbian Gay Transgender Asexual College Conference - MBLGTACC (Kalamazoo, MI) - Feb 14 - Feb 16. A traveling conference within the Midwest. Go HERE to learn more about the conference. Normandale Deadline: *PASSED.
- Indigenous Men & Men of Color Student Leadership Conference (Brooklyn Park, MN) - April 17, 2020 @ 8:00am - 2:00pm. A conference put together by the Minnesota State Colleges and University system. It is a traveling conference amongst the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities. This year it will be held at North Hennepin Community College. Please keep checking back for more details on registration and contact.
In collaboration with the Diversity Club, we are forming a Diversity Library to be added into the Diversity Center! Please help us build this library by giving some suggestions of authors or books that you know of. We highly encourage authors and books including but not limited to American Indian/Native America, Disabilities, Latinx, LGBTQIA+, Pan-African, Pan-Asian, Womyn, and Military/Veterans experience/perspectives. Please email: Pa Dao Yang
The Diversity Center is currently seeking suggestions for the following categories:
- Guest Speakers
- Performers (musician, visual artist, poet, dancer, drummers, etc)
- Restaurants/Business Owners
To uplift the voices of underserved and underrepresented populations, a high preference is going to be given to communities from American Indian/Native America, Disabilities, Latinx, LGBTQIA+, Pan-African, Pan-Asian, and/or Womyn. Please send your suggestions/recommendations to Pa Dao Yang
Use our Diversity Center Google Maps
Reserving the Diversity Center
If you wish to reserve the Diversity Center, please contact Pa Dao Yang or call 952-358-9104 (office) or 952-358-8436 (Diversity Center).
The Diversity Center has priority to schedule programming, events, training, and workshops before allowing student clubs and outside departments to reserve the space.
Diversity Center Advisory Committee
The Diversity Center has an Advisory Committee made up of students, staff, and faculty that support and guide the center's work. Below are our 2019-2020 members:
Beena Cook, Tutoring Center Coordinator, Tutoring Center
De'Andre Avaloz, TRIO Upward Bound Advisor, TRIO Upward Bound
Estefany Lisseth Mejia Rodas, Student, Diversity Club
Hao Taing, Student, Diversity Club
Jennifer Bouchard, French Instructor, World Languages
John Parker-Der Boghossian, Equity and Inclusion Officer, Human Resources
Kenny White, TRIO Upward Bound Advisor, TRIO Upward Bound
Lauren Schumann, Access Program Coordinator, Office for Students with Disabilities
Naimo Osman, Student, Diversity Club
Njia Lawrence-Porter, Academic Advisor, Advising and Counseling
Willie Johnson, Instructor, Communication
Vichetra Heng, Student, Diversity Club
If you are a student who is interested in joining the Diversity Club, or if you are a staff or faculty member who is interested in being a part of the Diversity Center Advisory Committee, please contact the advisor, Pa Dao Yang.