3.13.1 Transfer Credit

Select a Chapter:   

Chapter 3: Educational Procedures

Related Minnesota State Board Policy: 3.15  Advanced Placement Credit
3.16 International Baccalaureate Credit
3.21 Undergraduate Course Credit Transfer
3.33 College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) Credit
3.35 Credit for Prior Learning
Related Minnesota State Board Procedure: 3.15.1  Advanced Placement Credit
3.16.1 International Baccalaureate Credit
3.21.1 Undergraduate Course Credit Transfer
3.33.1 College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) Credit
3.35.1 Credit for Prior Learning

Purpose:  To comply with Minnesota State undergraduate transfer credit policy and to ensure fair and consistent transfer credit evaluation practices.

Part 1: Transfer of Undergraduate Credit.

Normandale Community College will grant credit for undergraduate coursework from regionally accredited colleges and universities and will consider for additional credit other collegiate and non-collegiate work in accordance with Minnesota State Board Policies 3.15, 3.21, 3.33, and 3.35.

  •  All college courses in which a student has received a grade of A, B, C, D or P (Pass) at regionally accredited, liberal arts, post-secondary institutions shall be considered for transfer.
  • If the students cumulative GPA at the originating institution is less than 2.00, only grades of P, C and higher will be considered, unless the course was completed at a Minnesota State college and that college has used it to satisfy a Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) goal requirement.  Students retain the right to appeal the acceptance of credits.
  • Duplicate credits cannot be awarded for equivalent courses.
  • Up to 16 credits of public or private regionally accredited technical college coursework shall be considered for credit if the coursework was completed with a grade of P, C or higher.
  • Grades earned for transfer coursework shall not be computed in the student’s GPA on the Normandale transcript.
  • Credits earned by examination at a regionally accredited post-secondary institution will be considered for transfer.
  • Credit achieved through experiential learning processes shall be evaluated, following a student’s petition, according to published national standard guidelines established by the American Council on Education (ACE), the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL) and other similar national organizations.
  • In accordance with Minnesota Statute 197.775, Subd.2, Recognition of Courses, Normandale will evaluate credit achieved through military training as specified in the ACE Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services.  Up to 16 technical and/or vocational credits and an unlimited number of associate and baccalaureate credits will be accepted for unduplicated course content.  Awarded credit will be counted as electives.
  • Credits earned in competency-based education programs will transfer as general electives unless approved for other distribution requirements.
  • Transfer decisions are not made solely on the source of accreditation.  Non-collegiate work and coursework from non-regionally accredited institutions recognized by Council of Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and the US Department of Education will be considered on a course-by-course basis through the academic petition process.
  • Coursework completed at an international college or university will be considered for transfer if recommended by a professional credential evaluation service that is recognized by the Association of International Educators (AIE) or the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).
^ top  
Part 2: Advanced Placement Program

The Advanced Placement (AP) Program of the College Board allows high school students to complete college-level courses and later earn college credit by demonstrating proficiency on culminating examinations.  Students who feel prepared by independent study or other means can also take AP examinations.  Students who earn a score of "3" or higher on the examinations are awarded credit upon submission of an official AP score report to the Office of Admissions.

Students interested in possible waivers from placement testing must submit their AP score report to the Office of Admissions at the time of application to the College.

Score reports are available for a fee by calling 888-308-0013 or 609-771-7366, or by writing to AP Services at PO Box 6671, Princeton, NJ 08541-6671. Visit the AP website.

Normandale Community College does not release copies of AP score reports to students.

^ top  
Part 3: College Level Examination Program

The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) of the College Board allows students of all ages to earn college credit for the knowledge and skills they have obtained both inside and outside of the classroom.  CLEP offers examinations for subjects normally covered during the first two years of college. 

Upon completion of testing, students must submit an official score report to the Office of Admissions for consideration of credit.  For examinations completed July 2001 or later, the minimum CLEP score for acceptance of credit is 50, with higher scores required in level 2 foreign language examinations. 

There is no limit to the number of credits a student may earn for CLEP examinations; however, students who are seeking a degree or certificate must meet the college residency requirement.

Students interested in possible waivers from placement testing must submit an official CLEP score report to the Office of Admissions at the time of application to the College.
For information about CLEP, click here or, for information specific to Normandale, visit "Course Equivalencies" in Advising and Counseling and then on "CLEP.” 

Part 4: International Baccalaureate

The International Baccalaureate (IB) is an internationally recognized program through which secondary students complete a comprehensive curriculum of rigorous study and demonstrate performance on culminating examinations.  The examination for the IB diploma covers six subjects, three or four of which must be at the higher level, with others at the standard level.  Students may present a full IB diploma or a certificate recognizing specific subject examinations and be considered for credit based on the examination level and result.

Students shall be granted 6 semester credits for scores of 4 or higher on each higher-level examination, plus 2 credits for each standard level examination with a score of 4 or higher.

Where test material is substantially similar to the content of an existing Normandale course, credit for that course will be awarded.  Where test material is considered to be college level but not substantially similar to the content of a Normandale course, elective credit will be awarded.

^ top  
Part 5: Project Lead the Way™

As of academic year 2012-2013 the Project Lead the Way™ (PLTW) Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) curriculum is used in more than 4700 schools in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.  High schools that meet PLTW standards are recognized as PLTW-certified sites.  Students from PLTW-certified high schools who succeed on national college-level PLTW end-of-course exams and in the classroom are eligible to apply for college credit at Normandale.

Students from certified PLTW programs who have completed PLTW courses with grades of B (85%) or higher and comprehensive college-level PLTW examinations with scores of 70% or higher will be awarded academic credit at Normandale within three years of high school graduation.  The student must submit an official articulation certificate or high school transcript showing the course grades and corresponding PLTW end-of-course exam results to the Office of Admissions.  If the transcript does not reflect the results of the PLTW end-of-course examinations, an official score report, signed by the person responsible for the PLTW program in the student’s school district, must be sent with the transcript.

Introduction to Engineering Design (IED) taken with Principles of Engineering (POE), and Digital Electronics (DE), and Computer Integrated Manufacturing (CIM) may be articulated for college credit, satisfying curriculum requirements in either the computer technology or the vacuum and thin film technology associate of applied science degree program of study.  Students are encouraged to consult with an academic advisor for support articulating eligible PLTW coursework for college credit.

^ top  
Part 6: u.Select

Normandale Community College shall use u.select (and successor databases) housed within the Office of the Chancellor as the official repository of course equivalency data. 

^ top  
Part 7: Appeals

Appeals of the transcript evaluation are done by completing the academic petition form, available from the Advising and Counseling Department.  The academic petition will be reviewed by an academic dean and, if appropriate, the academic department.  Notification of the outcome will be emailed to the student's my.normandale.edu account within three weeks of the date the petition was received.

If a student is not satisfied with the college's transfer appeal decision, the student may submit a request to the Senior Vice Chancellor of Academic and Student Affairs for a system level appeal of the college's transfer appeal decision.

  • A student shall appeal a transfer decision at the college or university level prior to appeal at the system level.
  • The system level appeal request shall include a copy of the college or university transfer appeal decision with supporting rationale, transcript, and other documentation.
  • To be considered, the student appeal for a decision that involves credits from system colleges and universities must have the support of the chief academic officer or designee of the sending system college or university.  When a transfer decision involves credit earned at an institution outside the system colleges and universities, the support of a chief academic officer or designee is not required.
  • Upon receipt of the system level appeal, there shall be a review by MnSCU System Office transfer staff.  The review shall be based on course descriptions, outlines, objectives, learning outcomes, and/or other relevant information.  The transfer staff shall submit a recommendation to the Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic and Student Affairs.

The Senior Vice Chancellor of Academic and Student Affairs shall make a final determination regarding disposition of the appeal.  The decision of the Senior Vice Chancellor shall be binding on all system college and university parties. 

Additional information can be found here by selecting "Transfer Basics" and then "Appeal Process" from the menu on the left side of the page.

^ top  

  Policy History
Date of Adoption: 
Date of Implementation
Date and Subject of Revisions
Next Review Date: 
^ top