Elementary Education Foundations
Why Choose Elementary Education Foundations?
Elementary Education is a rewarding field for individuals who like to help others. This program will prepare students to teach grades one through six.
(Bureau of Labor Statistics)
Elementary Education Foundations provides students with skills to do the following:
- Plan lessons that teach students subjects, such as reading and math, and skills, such as studying and communicating with others
- Assess students to evaluate their abilities, strengths, and weaknesses
- Teach lessons they have planned to an entire class of students or to smaller groups
- Grade students' assignments to monitor their progress
- Communicate with parents about their child's progress
- Work with students individually to help them overcome specific learning challenges
- Prepare students for standardized tests required by the state
- Develop and enforce classroom rules to teach children proper behavior
- Supervise children outside of the classroom - for example, during lunchtime or recess
The Education Training Academy (EdTrAc) was founded in 2005 through support of a National Science Foundation (NSF) grant. The grant provided funding to develop and implement certain courses and services that would meet the goals listed below. Following the expiration of the grant in 2009, Normandale has continued to support the EdTrAc program to ensure the quality foundational preparation of future teachers.
Careers in Elementary Education
Projected Job GrowthAccording to ISeek.org, the growth rate in the state of Minnesota for Elementary School Teachers is 4.5%.
Types of Jobs
Individuals who take Elementary Education Foundations can pursue careers in:
- Elementary School Teacher
- Kindergarten Teacher
Average State PayAccording to ISeek.org, in 2010, elementary school teachers earned a median salary of $57,884 in the state of Minnesota.
Elementary education and teaching students learn to teach all subject areas to young children. They learn to plan lessons and projects designed to motivate and challenge students. They also learn to counsel students and work with families.
Degrees & Certificates in Elementary Education Foundations
The Associate of Science degree in Elementary Education Foundations prepares students for a major in elementary education at a 4-year college or university. It also is excellent preparation for students who wish to work as paraprofessionals or educational assistants in an elementary classroom.
This degree incorporates all Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) goals. The degree also includes the requirements for entrance into third-year courses in many other 4-year or private schools offering an elementary education major.Normandale has a partnership which enables students to obtain a 4-year elementary education degree from Minnesota State University, Mankato on the Normandale campus. Completion of the AS in Elementary Education Foundations degree does not guarantee entrance into any particular program.
This degree also provides students with a strong STEM Background. Students take 11-12 credits of sciences and 9 credits of Mathematics. Students are offered the opportunity to take ENGT 1050, Bridging Engineering and Education, which allows them the study how engineering is taught at the elementary level. After completing all these courses with acceptable success, students will receive a STEM content endorsement.