Academy of Math & Science
The Normandale Community College Foundation and Normandale Community College have established the Academy of Mathematics and Science to support full-time students enrolled in science, technology, engineering and mathematics disciplines (STEM) and students in the Normandale Teacher Education program who intend to become a secondary STEM educator.
Students selected to participate in the program may receive a tuition scholarship of up to $3,000 to help offset the cost of attending Normandale full time.
The Academy of Math and Science provides student participants with the following keys to success
- A Scholarship of up to $3000 in tuition support for each cohort member, based on financial need and other aid received, to offset the cost of attending Normandale full time
- An Advisor to provide academic and personal support, mentoring, tutoring, and academic and student service coordination
- A Cohort, or group of students, for peer support and participation in a learning community
- A Student and Professional Success Skills Development Series (Curriculum) that includes modules on navigating higher education systems, time management, study skills development, test preparation, scholarly research and writing workshops, leadership development, career and personal development, financial management, college transfer preparation, and scholarship and financial aid research workshops
Admittance into the Academy will be based on the cumulative results of the following criteria
- High school diploma or GED (verified by transcripts or other official documentation)
- High school (and/or college) GPA (verified by transcripts), and/or commitment to maintain a 3.0 GPA while in the program
- Letters of recommendation from at least one teacher (professor) with whom you have studied and/or a counselor, advisor or professional person such as an employer
- Indicated potential and commitment as well as sincerity to pursue a career in STEM demonstrated in a student essay, and
- Demonstrated commitment to Academy participant criteria