America Reads and Counts is a tutoring program in which Normandale students work within the Bloomington Public School District to help kindergarten through high school children improve their reading and math skills.
Normandale students tutor Bloomington Public School children in grades K-12 in reading or math. Tutors spend 1.5 to 4 hours a week during a set time at a Bloomington school. Most tutors work one-on-one with students or will help a number of students in a classroom. Some tutors assist in an after-school homework help program. Tutoring positions are generally between the hours of:
- Mondays: 8:00 am-4:15 pm
- Tuesdays: 8:00 am-4:15 pm, 5:30 pm-7:30 pm
- Wednesdays: 8:00 am-4:15 pm, 5:30-7:30 pm
- Thursdays: 8:00 am-4:15 pm
- Fridays: 8:00 am-2:30 pm
If you qualify for work study you can get paid to tutor. We do our best to work around your schedule when we place you as a tutor. You will need your own transportation to and from the school; several schools are on the bus line. You must also pass a background check (no cost to you). While previous tutoring experience is helpful, it is not required to apply. New tutors attend a required training session. The program seeks applicants with the desire to help a child succeed and the energy and time it takes to make this commitment. Get more information at www.normandale.edu/arac
How to Apply:
Submit an online application by the application deadline: Thursday, Jan. 31st
- Submit an online America Reads and Counts Normandale application. You must complete BOTH the Normandale and Bloomington Public Schools application. You do not need to also complete Normandale's Service-Learning Registration; filling out this form also counts as your Normandale Service-Learning Registration.
- Submit an online application for the Bloomington Public Schools. You must complete BOTH the Normandale and Bloomington Public Schools application.
- Sign up for an interview. Once you submit the online applications you will get an email with a link to sign up for a brief interview. The interviews are at Normandale with a Center for Experiential Education Coordinator.
- Respond to the background check email. After you submit your application you will receive an email from email@example.com that you must respond to. If you don't see the email check your junk folder.
Contact Paige Wheeler, with Normandale's Center for Experiential Education with any questions: (952) 358-9074 or firstname.lastname@example.org