Welcome ! Curious about how to use the Writing Center?
Writing help is available inside the Tutoring Center for any Normandale class. Writing tutors are peer tutors who have been recommended by their instructors and trained to assist students with their writing. Several faculty tutors are also available. To make the most of a tutoring experience, students should come with their assignment handouts along with a hard copy of their drafts and any other necessary materials.
"This is a tool for getting A's in college. I'm not just going to walk past and let it sit here."
- Anthony Tate Craig, Normandale Community College student
Writing Tutor schedule - Spring 2017
See the Tutoring Center (C2120) for more information on the Writing Center.
During fall and spring semester, writing tutors are available Monday - Thursday 8am-6pm and Friday 8am-4pm.
Writing Center tutors focus on the Writing Process
- Generating ideas
- Formulating topics
- Developing arguments
- Organizing and revising drafts
- Improving style
- NOT adding/changing content or correcting errors
Online tutoring for writing - Smarthinking
Smarthinking is an online tutoring service that is available to registered Normandale students. Smarthinking provides tutoring in Writing and other courses. Each Normandale student can receive up to 300 minutes of tutoring per year free. If you run out of minutes, please contact the Tutoring Center Coordinator.
With Smarthinking you can:
- Interact with a live tutor.
- Submit your writing for any class to the Online Writing Lab.
- Submit a question and receive a reply from a tutor.
- Log in to Online Education (D2L)
- On your home page, find the Smarthinking icon.
- For first-time users, click on the "Register here" link.
- If you are registered, click on the "Login here" link.