Satisfactory Academic Progress
(Effective Fall 2014 and beyond)
See the catalog for the entire Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.
You must make satisfactory academic progress towards a degree or certificate to attend Normandale and remain eligible for financial aid. The standards, briefly defined below, are cumulative and include all periods of enrollment. You are responsible for reading and understanding the complete policy, available in the College Catalog on the web. Academic advising, counseling, instructors, tutoring, mentoring, special programs and outside referrals are all available to assist you in being successful.
* For the complete Satisfactory Academic Policy Statement, click here.
Minimum Academic Standards You Must Maintain
- Grade Point Average-GPA: All students are required to meet or exceed a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.00. Grades of A, B, C, D, F, FN and FW are included in the GPA calculation.
- Percentage of Completion: You are required to successfully complete a minimum of 67% of all courses you attempt. Grades of F, FN, FW, I, N, NC, W, Z and IP (or blank/missing) are NOT successfully completed and thus negatively impact the completion percentage.
- Maximum Time Frame: Financial aid recipients have an additional standard that must be met. They are expected to complete their degree/certificate at Normandale within an acceptable period of time, which is 150% of the credit length of the program as published in the College Catalog.
Evaluation, Warning and Suspension
Academic progress is evaluated after each term. If you do not meet the minimum standards, you are placed in a warning status for one term only. During that warning term, you must raise your cumulative GPA and percent completion to meet or exceed the minimum standards. If you do not, you will be suspended. You will also be suspended from financial aid eligibility if you exceed the maximum time frame. There are several other reasons you may be suspended. Please read the full policy in the College Catalog.
Appeals and Probation
If suspended, you may appeal for reinstatement based on extenuating circumstances. Please see the full policy in the College Catalog for details on appealing. If your appeal is approved, you will be placed in a probation status. All approved appeals and probationary terms will include an academic plan that you must adhere to. This plan will include, at a minimum, earning at least a 2.50 term GPA and completing 100% of your courses (or meeting the cumulative standards).
At the end of your probationary term,
- if you have met the cumulative standards you are returned to good standing
- if you met the conditions of your academic plan (either 2.50 term GPA or higher and/or completed 100% of your courses) you remain on probation with an academic plan
- if you have not met the cumulative standards or the terms of your academic plan, you are re-suspended
You may download and print appeal forms by clicking the appropriate link below:
- Academic and Financial Aid Suspension Appeal [PDF]
- Financial Aid Suspension Appeal for Exceeding Maximum Time Frame [PDF]
Once you are suspended from the College, the only way to be reinstated is to appeal and have that appeal approved or to not attend Normandale for a year. To reestablish your eligibility for financial aid, you would need to appeal and have that appeal approved or attend Normandale without financial aid and meet the minimum standards.
As a reminder, you are responsible for reading the full Satisfactory Academic Progress policy in the College Catalog. It describes in much more detail all aspects of the policy and your rights and responsibilities. After you have read the full policy, if you have questions, please see an academic advisor or counselor.
As a reminder, you are responsible for reading the full Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy in the College Catalog. It describes in much more detail all aspects of the policy and your rights and responsibilities. After you have read the full policy, if you have questions, see an academic advisor or counselor.
We encourage students to develop a plan to ensure their success at Normandale and to use College resources wisely. Advisors and counselors are available to assist students; call (952) 358-8261 to make an appointment.