Getting Started with Research
Taking the very first step in the research process may be the most difficult one, especially if you are new to library research. In this tutorial, you will learn how to take the steps that are necessary in this process. Think of yourself as a detective, going from source to source to discover information.
Before you start your research, there are a few general tips to keep in mind:
- Be sure you understand the assignment.
- Begin early to allow sufficient time to complete the assignment by the due date.
- Know what kinds of resources are required, allowed, or prohibited for the particular research assignment.
- Know how many sources are required for the assignment.
- Determine the timeliness of the topic, what resources are appropriate, and if sources exist.
- Be aware of the required length of the research assignment.
- Know which style manual you are required to use.
- Choose a research topic that is of interest to you and raises questions.
Check out the Assignment Calculator. The Assignment Calculator is a tool designed to help you structure and manage your projects by breaking the research process into discrete steps with deadlines. It also provides links to online resources which can assist you in executing each step.