Headed for the moon.
America put a man on the moon in 1969. China plans to have a rover on Mars by 2020 and a man on the moon by 2025.
Today, China has over 2,000 power plants under construction, and by 2020 it hopes to have invested almost $400 billion dollars in alternative energy. Its largest cities are home to over 1,200 skyscrapers, including 5 of the tallest buildings in the world. It has the most expansive high-speed (bullet) train network in the world, spreading out some 12,000 miles, with plans to expand it to 18,000 miles. Their highway and airport building program is also the biggest in history. And it has more supercomputers than any country in the world, including the United States, with its fastest home-grown supercomputer 5 times faster than anything in the West.
China is the world's:
- Leading trade nation
- Most industrialized nation
- Biggest producer of food
- Greatest producer of consumer goods.
- Largest consumer of food and energy
As a result, the study of China and Chinese has become one of the fastest growing areas of learning in the United States and the world.
How can Normandale Community College help?
- By giving you the opportunity to learn Mandarin Chinese, a language spoken by over 1/4th of the world's population and one of the 6 working languages of the United Nations.
- And by introducing you to Chinese culture, the oldest continuous culture in the world, with roots that go back more than 5,000 years, with literature and philosophy that rival any.
What can you do with this knowledge?
Apply it in a variety of fields, including:
- Teaching & Research
- Government Service
Or travel and see China first hand.
Whatever your choices in life, knowledge of China or Chinese is sure to be an invaluable asset, working to give you an advantage in the competition for employment, but also contributing to you becoming a true Global Citizen.
Welcome to the fascinating field of Chinese Studies.