America Reads & Counts
America Reads and Counts is a program where Normandale students tutor Bloomington Public School youth in reading, math, and after school homework help.
Your focus is typically helping youth who are below grade level in reading and/or math. Most tutors work one-on-one with students or will help a number of students in a classroom. Some tutors assist in an after-school homework help program. If you qualify for work study you can get paid to tutor. You need your own transportation to and from the school; several schools are on the bus line. You must pass a background check (no cost to you). Tutors have a set weekly schedule. Tutors spend 1 to 4 hours total a week during a set time at a Bloomington school; most tutors go to the school 1-2 times per week. Tutoring positions are generally between the hours of:
- Mondays: 8:00 am-4:15 pm
- Tuesdays: 8:00 am-4:15 pm
- Wednesdays: 8:00 am-4:15 pm, 5:30-7:30 pm
- Thursdays: 8:00 am-4:15 pm
- Fridays: 8:00 am-2:30 pm
Application Process for NEW tutors (Fall 2019), Application Deadline: Th. Sept. 12th, 2019
- NEW TUTOR NORMANDALE APPLICATION: Complete the online Normandale America Reads and Counts Application. YOU MUST COMPLETE BOTH THE NORMANDALE AND BLOOMINGTON PUBLIC SCHOOLS ONLINE APPLICATIONS. You do not need to also complete Normandale's Service-Learning Registration; filling out this form also counts as your Normandale Service-Learning Registration.
- BLOOMINGTON PUBLIC SCHOOLS APPLICATION: Complete the online Bloomington Public Schools Application. YOU MUST COMPLETE BOTH THE NORMANDALE AND BLOOMINGTON PUBLIC SCHOOLS ONLINE APPLICATIONS.
- INTERVIEW: Once you submit the Normandale application you will get an email with a link to sign up for a 30 minute interview. The interview is at Normandale in the Center for Experiential Education (C 1066). Interviews are Sept. 10th-Sept. 17th. If you don't get the email to sign up for an interview right after you apply contact us.
- BACKGROUND CHECK: After applying you will receive an email from email@example.com. This email is from the background check company Bloomington Public Schools uses and is secure. You should get this email within a week of applying. If you do not receive a background check email in a week or so contact us (info below).
Contact the Center for Experiential Education with any questions: (952) 358-9074 or firstname.lastname@example.org.